I could barely keep my heavy eyes open. The level of exhaustion was unreal. All I wanted to do was just fall into my bed and sleep. But, no. There I was on a plane for what seemed like the millionth time in a month. Actually, it was only my fourth time. I had planned a lot of traveling in the last few months…on purpose. And all I could think about as I finally headed home was sleeping in my own bed (maybe in my favorite cat PJ’s).
Raise your hand if all you want in life is a good night’s rest. I see you.
Sleep is not overrated. It is not for the weak. And it very important in this chica’s life. I absolutely need it to function. You might not want to catch me on a groggy lack of sleep kind of day. Just throwing that out there. This post is totally inspired by the Big Fig Mattress I was gifted. It couldn’t have come at a better time either. The hubby and I were just about to start shopping for one. Ours was already eight years old and was just plain out done. My back was starting to hurt and the sagging memory foam was fed up with us. This is when Big Fig Mattress saved my sleep life…and my back.
Big Fig Mattress is really doing what no one else has figured out. It has created a mattress designed for plus size and big & tall sleepers. Yes. You read that right. The hubby and I almost cried when they reached out to me. They’ve worked on some of the most common issues like mattress sag, sleeping hot, weak foundation, durability, and poor support to name a few. Their innovative design comes with ThermoGel cooling technology to regulate body temperature, 1600 pocketed coil springs to better support the neck and back, and the foundation supports five times the weight of a typical foundation. And it’s available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and Cal King (that’s what we have).
Designed to last 20 years, this mattress is not what I expected. I was concerned because it is a lot firmer than the one I had been sleeping on for the last eight years. And my 6’5 hubby is definitely a hot sleeper. In the two months we’ve owned it, I can honestly say we haven’t had a restless night of sleep. Not one. We have been sleeping like babies. As a heads up, I will tell you if you are looking for a super soft mattress, this may not be for you. But, Big Fig Mattress does offer a 101 Night Trial to test it out. Soooooo…you could just give it a try?
It’s no secret I live a life with anxiety and depression. This can make falling asleep at night more difficult than it should be. Of course it all starts with a mattress designed for you and your body. But, after dealing with sleepless nights for more years than I’d like to admit, I’ve finally figured out what works for me. Besides putting my phone away, I’ve learned to create a peaceful environment that helps me fall asleep.
- No Caffeine After 3pm: I’ve stopped drinking anything with caffeine (or energy enhancers) beyond the afternoon. Disclosure…I’m not a doctor and every body is different. This works for me. When I consume caffeine late in the day, I tend to have a harder time falling asleep at night.
- Aromatherapy Diffuser to the Rescue: I bought myself the PureSpa Essential Oil Diffuser and it has done wonders. I use only 100% all-natural essential oils like lavender with it. I turn it on right before I head to bead. It gives off this nice relaxing aroma coverage that lasts up to 7 hours. Choose whichever scent is calming to you. There are tons of diffuser brands out there to choose from.
- Try a Calming Pillow Mist: If you’re a lover of all-things aromatherapy, invest in a calming pillow mist. Just spray on your pillow and sheets before you lay down for the night. Then take deep slow breaths of the soothing and relaxing scent. I love the Lavender Chamomile Pillow Mist from Bath & Body Works.
- There’s an App for That: I know we all sleep with our phones right next to us. Why not download an app designed to help relax us? I use the Relax Melodies App every single night. I can choose from a selection of calming sounds and even mix them. I do use the free version, there are paid options. One of my favorite things about it is setting the timer to turn off the app automatically. From a crackling campfire to a cat purring, there are lots of sounds to choose from.
- Zone it All Out: Try to keep your room as dark and quiet as possible. If that’s hard to do in a noisy or bright environment, try adding a sleeping mask and earplugs to your routine. You’ll be surprised at how helpful this can be.
Do you have any tips on what helps you fall asleep at night? Share with us below!
Disclosure: The item is this post was provided for review purposes only. Any and all opinions are true and my own.