If your head is swimming in this thing called life, then you’re as shocked as I was when I realized it’s already February. And the day of love, AKA Valentine’s Day is here. As you and I both know, love should be celebrated every single day. But, if you need a reminder like one special day of the month, then February 14th will do.
Let’s be honest, life is hard and can sometimes leave us in a state of yuck. I’m a true believer that you must take care of yourself first before you can care for others. You’ve heard the term “self-care” a lot over the past few weeks. And that’s exactly what I’m talking about. This Valentine’s Day, I want you to be your own special valentine. In other words, spoil yourself a little. Yes, it’s OK!
“To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance” – Oscar Wilde
There is no need to feel guilty about showing yourself a little love on February 14th. You officially have permission. Here are 20 ways, in the gallery below, on how you can do just that.
How do you show yourself love on Valentine’s Day?
- TREAT YOURSELF TO BREAKFAST. Visit one your favorite food spots and order the most indulgent dish.
- WRITE A LOVE LETTER TO YOURSELF. Remind yourself how amazingly fabulous you are.
- BE A TOURIST IN YOUR OWN CITY. Do the things you’ve always wanted to do.
- DO THE ONE THING THAT BRINGS YOU PEACE OF MIND. Whether it’s praying, meditating, or even yoga. Just do it.
- GET PHYSICAL AND DO A LITTLE SWEATING. How you do that is up to you.
- GRAB YOUR CAMERA AND SNAP PHOTOS OF YOUR FAVORITE SPOTS. It’s time to be that photographer you’ve always aspired to be.
- BUY YOURSELF FRESH FLOWERS. Take in their glorious scent, put them in a vase, or your hair!
- TAKE THE DANCE YOU’VE ALWAYS WANTED. And shake what your mama gave you.
- CUDDLE WITH SOME OF YOUR FURRY FRIENDS. Don’t have your own. There are plenty of shelters you can volunteer at.
- GET LOST IN A BOOKSTORE. They may be rare but they’re out there.
- DO ANYTHING THAT GENUINELY MAKES YOU SMILE. And I mean anything.
- FIND OR CREATE YOUR OWN COZY HIDING SPOT. AND JUST BE. Be lazy, be productive, or just be contemplative.
- VISIT SOMEPLACE BEAUTIFUL BY YOURSELF. Hit up that museum, art gallery, or luxurious hotel you’ve always wanted to step inside.
- UNPLUG FOR THE DAY. LEAVE SOCIAL MEDIA BEHIND. Just let it go man.
- JUST SLEEP IN. I don’t think I’ll need to convince you much on this one.
- INVEST IN A LITTLE SOMETHING SPECIAL FOR YOURSELF. Did someone say shopping?
- TAKE A LONG WALK ON A DESERTED BEACH. If beaches aren’t your thing, just take yourself to nature and discover.
- INDULGE IN A SPA DAY. Because it’s all about pampering yourself.
- COOK YOUR FAVORITE DISH AT HOME. Get the creative juices flowing in the kitchen.
- MAKE SOMETHING WITH YOUR HANDS. Get creative in an art studio with pottery or any DIY project.