By now you’ve seen a lot of people painting their faces like sugar skulls in honor of Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead). These calaveras de azúcar are sweets that are normally sold in Mexico in the days and weeks leading up to the Mexican holiday—November 1-2. Urban Decay sent me some a few of their products to help create my own simple sugar skull makeup look.
For those of you who aren’t familiar with Dia de los Muertos, here’s a little background. In Mexico, this official holiday is for remembering and honoring those who have passed. I didn’t grow up celebrating this holiday, so for me I was a little confused about it. Now, I know that this is a joyous holiday, not a morbid and sad one. It’s all about celebrating life and remembering our loved ones. And I love that!
My sugar skull look (below) was done with Urban Decay makeup, the kind of products you’d find in your personal collection. As most of you know, I’m not professional makeup artist. Big surprise huh? So, I made sure to create a very quick and simple look. Just to show you that you don’t have to be a makeup pro or spend a lot of time on it. Take a look!
When you’re creating your simple sugar skull makeup look don’t be afraid to search online for inspiration. I chose not to use white makeup as a base. I wanted to be a little different. I’d give yourself no longer than one hour to create your own sugar skull for Dia de los Muertos. Here are a few tips to help you with your look.
- Start with a clean face, lightly moisturize, apply Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion around your eyes, then cover with your regular foundation.
- Have makeup wipes on hand, in case you mess up and need to start over.
- If you do mess up, just wipe, reapply your primer/foundation, and start over.
- Eyeliner pencils come in handy for designs and tracing. I’m using Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eyeliner and yes, it glides on smoothly.
- Eyeshadows are perfect for filling in your designs. I’m using Urban Decay Eyeshadow. I used a short brush to sweep and pat on these vibrant and velvety colors.
- Cut out and use stencils for cleaner lines on your designs. I’m using a few from the Crafty Chica Face Paint Kit.
- Have fun with false eye lashes and embellishments. I’m wearing Urban Decay Perversion False Lashes. The glitter adds a lot of glam to this look.
- Be patient and have fun!
Share your sugar skull looks with us below! I’d love to see them!
Disclosure: The products in this post were provided for review purposes only. Any and all opinions in this post are 100% true and my own.