You can ask professional and celebrity makeup artist Luis Casco, I’m not a very good assistant. He’ll probably say I did a good job, only because he loves me. Truth is, I was way too distracted by his talent to even do much assisting! I was so busy taking photos and tweeting, as you’ll see below. Never mind that fact, that I can barely do my own makeup.
It all went down when I was in the Dominican Republic on a Mary Kay press trip. I was supposed to interview Luis all about spring beauty trends, when he asked me if I could assist him. He was doing a presentation for Mary Kay and he had two models that he was prepping. I immediately said yes, well…because it’s Luis Casco.
He’s been in the industry for a long time, working with top fashion designers, models, photographers, celebrities, and beauty brands. He’s been on television many times and is currently a beauty expert on the fourth season of Mexico’s Next Top Model and the third season of Lifetime Network’s Project Runway All Stars. He’s a Mary Kay Global Makeup Artist and even has his own blog—Latina Makeup & Beauty. Seriously, he’s a rockstar in the world of makeup. I will say that applying makeup is an art and Luis is an amazing artist.
As you can see in my photos below, I did a tiny bit of assisting when I wasn’t snapping away. He already had the model’s looks ready to go. And it was all about a spring look that had them glowing. I think I’ll just stick to my job as a blogger. OK, I did learn a few things from Luis. Here are just a few of his tips:
- Apply your makeup in natural light if possible.
- Always start with clean hands before you apply your makeup.
- When applying foundation, apply in a downward motion.
- If you want to make your eyes look smaller, use eyeliner on the top lash and the water line.
- When applying eyeshadow and the color looks too much like a shape use bronzer to help soften the edges.
- Dampen your eyeshadow brush before applying shadow, for more intense color.
- Use bronzer to contour and give your skin that spring glow.